Friday, April 15, 2011

Invitations and Emotions

After scouring the family calendar to finalize a date and time, and trying to create the menu, I filled out birthday invitations. And then I had a sad realization.

Who will we be inviting?

In past years we have invited grandparents, great aunts and uncles, the brother, close friends, and my cousins. Of course my grandma, Greatsie, will be invited and attending. Both sets of our parents, so Soph's grandparents will be there. Two of my aunts and uncles will invited (and hopefully attending), along with the two youngest cousins, and three family friends.

Previously I have invited 6 of my cousins, but this year with their families we haven't been invited to their parties. They have siblings, and their spouses have siblings, so they have large family parties with just immediate family. I don't want to invite them and have it be an inconvience for them.

I don't have siblings. Jon's brother has to work and his sister is out of state. My cousins were like siblings growing up. Now they are busy with their own families. Sometimes it just makes me sad that my children won't be able to enjoy the large family birthday's that I remember so fondly.

Her party may be lacking in the quantity guests, but atleast it won't be lacking in quality guests and love! I just need to remind myself that that's what really matters.

3 comments:

Julie said...

My cousins were like siblings too. Even though I have a sister, with everyone grown up and having in-laws, holidays get really quiet. I want the house full of people with the guys watching football in the living-room and the women in the kitchen chit chatting.
But I love them just the same even if it's just my mom, dad and Jean.

And you hit the nail on the head....it's not the quantity, but the quality.

She's a lucky girl to have an awesome brother, dad and MOM that love her so much.

simplicity said...

I get this Sara, a lot.
We celebrated Henry's bday Saturday with family and it was us, my dad, my mother in law and Jeff's sister. Sometimes I am sad but I also know that we make things special.
I think the hardest for me is the emergency contact thing, that's when it really hits me that I am sad about not being able to have family listed for the kids besides my dad.

Shell said...

You could invite us. I would love to see you guys and the kids. Plus we have a little guy too! : )
Just remember that although you might not have the whole gang over for the party, they still love and cherish you guys.